Empowering Village Life in Transylvania
Connect, care and share with people in Transylvania through our crowdfunding website.
Voices of Kaláka
More than 25 years after the fall of communism, villagers in Transylvania today rely on the volunteer tradition of kaláka to rebuild and sustain their communities. If you’re wondering: “what’s a kaláka?” take a minute to watch our video: Voices of Kaláka: Strengthening Communities in Transylvania.
- Kaláka: "...with love and responsibility"
- "The spirit that defines us." - Torockoszentgyorgy
- Firtosváralja Celebrates Church Restoration
- Homoródszentpéter: Partners Pitch In
- Kaláka Spirit in Székelyderzs
- On the Ground in Transylvania
- Kaláka Stories: New Projects Take Shape
- Kaláka Stories – Playground in Székelyderzs
- Kaláka Stories: Mom Universal
- Kaláka Stories: A Necessary Gathering Place
After our successful Spring 2016 Crowdfunding Campaign, construction and renovation work began this summer in four Transylvanian villages. Volunteers shared their progress with us, including photos of volunteers at work. To see the most recent project reports, check out Stories.
Support the Unitarian Kaláka Fund. Donate
The thread that began centuries ago still ties us to Transylvania. We share a passion for tradition, sustainability, and religious tolerance. We share a belief in the power of kaláka–working together to create change. And many of us share a faith history with Unitarians who live in these villages today.